Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Knight's Journey

"it takes courage to become who you truly are." e.e. cummings

Yesterday I had the privilege of joining in the celebration as seven amazing and brave men completed their first Soltura workshop, The Knight's Dilemma. I am forever blessed by this beautiful experience.

The energy in the room was palpable. Laughter. Tears. Words of power and clarity filled the air. Humility. Wonder. Delight. Grown men’s faces transformed into tender little boys. Gratitude reigned. Awe. Thankfulness. I am not sure I have ever felt so ultimately received by a group of “strangers”—strangers that I was uniquely and individually connected to through their extended friends and family.

My heart filled with joy and I found myself speechless for words that would not come. It was energy. Pure energy. I did not suffer from stage fright or self-consciousness. I felt fully me. Accepted. Welcomed in love and it occurred to me that this is the ultimate hope for the world. For as these men were able to wholly embrace themselves; they were able to more fully extend their love and graciousness toward others.

They fought long, hard and well. They surprised themselves and challenged the facilitators at every turn. They were gracious, frustrating, lovable, eclectic, and endearing. It was such an honor to step in and witness their transformation. Belly laughs bursting to life. Heads held higher and words spoken with more clarity. Humility and love shining from their faces. Beautiful, wonderful, unique men. All so different yet all the same. Seeking what they had forgotten & resolving or at least understanding a little better the battles inside that keep them from living freely.

Today is a new day and these seven Knights will march forward with their armor much shinier and less rusted than it was only a few days ago. I stand in awe of their bravery and courage to seek something better for themselves and consequently the world in which they live.

Bravo, Gentlemen! Well done!

(stock photo)

4 comments:

Dianna Woolley said...

Bravo facilitator - your description made me feel "there"! May God help your knights to live into their new roles.

Anonymous said...

Was that really you questioning the value of what you do recently??

I had tears in my eyes reading this. I think the damage we do to men in our society by our expectations - of toughness, of supressing emotion etc - is as great as the damage done to women in ways that are more widely spoken about.

Bravo to all, including you, say I! I'm so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

As a graduate Knight in Rusty Armor and a Big Sister to my only brother who just completed his first workshop I am so grateful for you post. I spoke to my brother at the Seattle airport while he was waiting for his flight and he sounded wonderful. He described his experience as !!!!!!! Amazing! I was disappointed in not being able to attend his Return but felt like I had been there reading your Blog. I was wonderful to go back to that time again.
As a 'graduate knight' I have found that 'Rust' continues to intermittently build up and I want you to know reading your blog is one of the tools that help me buff it off!!! Keep writing. Love, The Tin Man #1!!!

Kayce aka lucy said...

ss--the amazing thing is i didn't even help facilitate this one. i just came in for the very end and the energy was absolutely phenomenal. and, just like the rest of us, they will need God's help to continue this journey!

tess--i know, i know. how could i even begin to question that what i help do is valuable? i think the tricky thing is that i don't really feel like it's ME doing anything. maybe that's how passion works--you are so outside of yourself and/or so connected to God and the world that you forget you're even a part of the process. hmmmm.

tin man--between you and me, i think we have the best character...he shows up in both workshops :-)

thank you for your kind words re: reading this blog. writing it is how i help keep my own rust buffed off.

glad you're all here!!!!